The traditionally humble Louisiana stew is elevated to a haute entrée by topping the dish with exquisite sea scallops and jumbo shrimp that are seared to order for the ultimate comfort food.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
1/2 cup (125 mL/4 oz) vegetable oil
2 lb (1 kg) Andouille sausage, sliced
4 cups (1 L/1 lb 2 oz) chopped onions
4 cups (1 L/1 lb 4 oz) chopped red bell peppers
4 cups (1 L/1 lb 2 oz) chopped celery
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp (2 mL/0.1 oz) cayenne pepper
3/4 cup (175 mL/3.8 oz) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (125 mL/4 oz) white wine
1/4 cup (60 mL/0.5 oz) chopped fresh thyme leaves
3 bay leaves
4 cups (1 L/2 lb) chicken broth
1 1/2 cups (375 mL/12 oz) clam juice
1 can (28 oz/3 lb 8 oz) diced tomatoes
1 lb (500 g) sliced frozen okra
3/4 cup (175 mL/6 oz) vegetable oil
3/4 cup (175 mL/6 oz) butter
48 Grille & Galley™ Fresh Sea Scallops
36 Grille & Galley™ Fresh Jumbo Shrimp
2 tbsp (30 mL) each sea salt (2 oz) and pepper (0.6 oz)
1. Heat oil in large stockpot set over medium-high heat; cook sausage for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to paper towel–lined plate. Add onions, bell peppers and celery to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic and cayenne; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until fragrant.
2. Sprinkle in flour; stir to combine. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until deep reddish-brown colour. Add wine, thyme and bay leaves; cook, scraping up browned bits, for about 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Stir in chicken broth, clam juice and diced tomatoes; bring to boil.
3. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until thickened and flavourful. Stir in okra; cook for about 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Let cool completely. Gumbo can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
4. Assembly (1 portion): Heat 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) gumbo in small saucepan until simmering.
5. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) each oil and butter in skillet set over high heat until almost smoking. Season 4 scallops and 3 shrimps all over with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper. Sear scallops and shrimp for 3 to 5 minutes, turning once, or until golden brown. Spoon gumbo into serving bowl. Serve immediately.
Per 1/12 recipe
Saturated Fat 13g
Trans Fat 1g